[T3] pretronix ignition?

does anyone have any experience with the pretronix ignition kits? i put
one on my squareback today
and it did not work. i had to remove the sensor from the bracket to make
it fit in the distributor but the install was just how it should be i am
sure of that. when i put the distributor back in i made sure the timing
was set to 0 degrees. the car just sputtered but would not start. i
tried retarding the timing as well as advancing it. not luck so i pulled
it and put the points back in, and of course the car ran fine. i just
thought that not messing with points would be nice but a running car is
better than no running car. any experience with this out there?
also while doing this i noticed that my aux. air regulator never totally
cuts the air flow off. is this correct? i know on watercooled cars it
closes all the way once the car is warmed up. i am having a problem with
my idle. i just won't set down into it's groove. it sort of goes up and
down not a lot just a little. is this normal? again, i am coming from
the watercooled side and i can make my watercooled cars idle smooth as
silk. is this not possible with the old fi aircooled cars? i have made
sure there are not vacuum leaks so i know that is not the problem. the
timing mark is totally still when i shine my timing light on it, it's
not jumping around as it would if there were vacuum leaks.
and finally, when i put my points back in i wanted to measure the dwell
so i set my multimeter to 4cyl dwell setting and i could get no reading.
i hooked the red connector to the negative side of the coil and the
black connector to ground this is right isn't it? i do this when the car
is running correct?
thanks all,
jesse
71 fi squareback