RE: [T3] Which Distributor?

On 5 Jun 2001, at 11:49, Miller, Gary (G.) wrote:

> The dizzy that was in there was just vacuum. The replacement is vacuum
> (two connections on advance can) and mechanical. I've done the 'suck
> test' on the vac advance can - OK. The vac retard side (larger bore)
> will not pass the suck test - it's leaky. The mech advance seems to
> work fine; smooth advance as the revs are increased.

Okay, the old dizzy was an old one.

> >but you really don't want much more than that (measured at high rpm
> >in your driveway.)
>
> At about 3000rpm (vac hose on) the advance goes to about 10mm past my
> 30¡ mark. At idle (hose off) I'm somewhere near the 7.5 mark. Could it
> be that the vac retard works together with the vac advance to ensure
> that the timing doesn't over advance?

What we need to know is whether the connecting/disconnecting
the vacuum hose has any effect at idle. Sounds like you're getting
close to 40 deg at speed which is too much. It is likely that your
system is not giving you the response you want, most probably
because there is a strong vacuum present with no throttle.

The later dists expect a vacuum connection that provides no
vacuum at idle, none at full throttle, but a good amount while
cruising. The latter is impossible to duplicate while standing still,
so you should never measure any vacuum for these during a
tuneup.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org