Re: [T3] allign boring

On 3 Jun 2001, at 23:43, DGaries808@aol.com wrote:

> What is involved in align boring? I'm wondering whether my 40 HP
> engine needs it, but I don't know what it is.

It means to bore out the main bearing saddles in the case to
accept main bearings which are over size on the OD. This is to
repair a case which has been abused. There is a difference of
opinion as to whether this is a worthwhile thing to do. Berg says
not to bother since this means the case is too damaged to ever
work right again. I have had fine luck but I only rebuild to "stock"
specs.

The test is to look at the #2 main bearing saddle with the bearing
halves removed. If you can feel ANY amount of ridge in the middle,
left where the oil groove on the OD of the bearing left it, then a new
standard bearing will never fit tightly there again and the case
MUST either be thrown away or align bored.

Align boring is NOT a DIY job. I send my cases to RIMCO and
have it done at the same time as case savers.

Buy and study the Bill FIsher book to learn more.