Re: [T3] Clanking pulley

Subject: [T3] Clanking pulley

> Shortly after I was taking the wife to town for a quieter ride and a funny
> sounding clanging sound was coming from the engine compartment.
>
> Upon closer inspection I have discovered that the crankshaft pulley seems
> be rattling against the fan housing.
> I returned straight home parked it and continued to town in my truck.
> Does anyone have any idea why this pulley is loose? Can it have worn out,
or
> is it just loose?
> Will be tearing into it in the morning.

Does this car have air conditioning??

There is supposed to be a steel washer, and a paper gasket between this
pulley, and the fan. There is also supposed to be a small dowel pin that
engages a hole in the fan. The bolt should have a spring washer under the
head of it.
Follow the torque spec on this bolt.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org