Re: [T3] crankcase breather needed

On 2 Jun 2001, at 17:16, Barry Viss wrote:

> I need an oil breather for my 68.  It is the large rectangular one. Does any
> one have a good one of these they could sell me?  I realized when I took
> mine off that the rust was far worse than I thought: the whole bottom is
> about to collapse, and it rattles with chunks when you shake it.  When I
> took the stand off I noticed that the deflection plate was not installed, do
> you think this could be related somehow?

I have some extras.

The deflector plate is there to limit oil mist in the breather. It's an
important part to have there. The chunks are probably just dried out
crud that has settled there over the decades. It can, and should, be
washed out. If the box is rusting thru then you will have to replace
it, but if it is just surface rust then it is no problem; just wipe some
oil on it to stop the rusting.