Re: [T3] 68 rear equalizer bushing assembly?

On 31 May 2001, at 23:04, ROHATTAWAY@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 68 squareback with the swing axle. There is a n equalizer
> spring that runs across the car and attaches to the axle s by two rods
> that hang down and pass through plates on each axle. I ordered new
> bushings for these rods . I got an assortment of bushings abd don't
> know how they fit.

Where did you get your replacement parts? People are always
asking about those, but no one knows where to get them.

>   I have the egg shaped rubber bumpers and know they go at the tpo
> of the rod. I also have some bushings that look like two donuts
> stacked and a large rubber washer with a groove around the bottom.
> I think this goes on the plate welded to the axle. I also have 2
> smaller egg shaped bumpers and some grey plastic tubing.

Going from memory, I believe the egg slides up the rod first,
against the washer thats welded to the rod, then the grey tube
slides on followed by the rubber washer, a large steel washer,
lockwasher, and nut. The grommet probably goes in the axle plate
as you suggested.

Was there no replacement bushing for the eye at the top of the rod?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054