Re: [T3] water linking from dash?

On 31 May 2001, at 21:12, john r wrote:

> While sitting or driving in the rain, I have found a small leak
> coming from under the dash-pad, over the metal part of the dash
> nearest to the passenger door. I imagine this is coming form the
> fresh air venting?

this sounds like a leak around the windshield seal. It is fairly
common for these to leak at the lower corners, but they usually
don't admit much water. The larger leaks are usually from the fresh
air boxes, and to fix these you have to pull out the water drain
hoses and clean them out.

Take a bucket into the car when you pull these out, so you have a
good place for the dirty water to drain into. The hoses you are after
are the 2 black rubber hoses that come down the firewall just to
either side of center. They may be glued to their connections at
each end, but you should just work them loose and take them out.

Clean them out completely by running a garden hose thru them.

It is also sometimes possible to clean them out by running a stiff
wire down the hole in the intake grill from above. Follow this by
flushing with water to make sure that you have everything out, but
be careful that you don't flood the interior by trying to flush with
water before the hoses are really clear.

> Has anyone created an additional drain hole in their door.  I have
> just the one drain in front, and have to park down hill to drain out
> the doors.

There are actually 2 door drains, one at each bottom corner. It's
worth learning how to take the door panels off and clean out the
bottom of the inside of the door to clear all the drains. Dirt in there
will hold water and cause rusting.

> Since I am asking about seals, what do you all recommend to treat
> old seals that I know will be difficult to replace (rear pop-outs)
> they are in OK condition, but slightly cracked inside.  Is there
> anything that can help improve their current condition.

In spite of sales fluff to the contrary, I really don't think there's any
way to restore rubber parts. The best thing you can do is avoid lots
of direct sun and heat to slow down future deterioration.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054