Re: [T3] Dead Coil

> It's very unusual for a coil of any kind to fail. I've never seen a
> bad one, but I know that it does happen. I'd be interested to know
> whether your primary and secondary still measure with good
> continuity or not.

On the dead coil, primary is OK, but the secondary is open.  I don't know what the resistances of those windings are supposed to be, but on the old rusty spare I measured close to zero on the primary and about 10k ohm on the secondary.

> The coil you have on there now is probably not a good choice to
> leave in place. Chances are that it was designed to have a series
> resistor with it, which was something that VW never did.

The old Borg Warner coil I have on there has a label that indicates it is to be used without a resistor.  But I'll go to the store and get a Bosch and just keep the old coil handy as a spare.  I guess I'll just get one of those blue coils and hope it lasts longer than the one I just tossed.

-Mark Fuhriman