RE: [T3] Mystery wire

On 31 Jul 2001, at 13:54, Shirley, James J CDR (CNSP N4341) wrote:

> Here's what I'm looking at. I replaced my engine with a 1600 longblock
> with hydraulic lifters with an automatic, the engine was rebuilt to
> burn unleaded fuel. I am not sure what that means short of using
> different seats and valves, plus I think they machined the combustion
> chamber shape.

All OE heads and valve gear have been suitable for non leaded gas
since something like '66; before that the only thing you need to
change was the valves, replacing them with later valves. It is
common in today's marketplace to charge extra for what should be
the norm, but the old valves are still available (and cheaper) and
you don't want them.

If they machined the combustion chamber to lower the CR, then
this is probably a good thing.

> The engine runs strong but the idle is rough and at the lower end
> it's sluggish. I've worked through the entire FI system component
> by component and wiring harness. The Muir book was an excellent
> guide.

Muir isn't bad, but the Bentley is better. For just the FI there were
even better manuals put out by Henry Elfrink, now long out of print.

> I paid a visit to the wrecking yard yesterday and took a really
> close look at the ECU that was marked with yellow paint 73 T-3.
> Turns out if you turned it just right in the sun you could read
> what was left of the silver (was brown) label. The pn was
> 022-906-021E a 73 T-4.

Okay, I'm glad you followed up on this and settled this, at least for
the moment.

I suggest that you divert yourself from the FI innards and think
about the basics. Muir gets some of these wrong for the type 3.
Check your mechanical advance, valve lash, and especially your
engine timing. What year do you have? What do your timing marks
look like? What are you timing it to? Along the FI lines, have you
measured the fuel pressure? It should be 30 psi.

I seem to recall that this was a 72 which is a bit of a bear to time
because the proceedure is complicated. Muir does NOT cover this
right; Bentley does.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org