RE: [T3] [T-3] CAM GEAR SELECTION (tech story)

If you look at the mexican hydralic longblocks they come standard with the
filter pump covers. The best way to go is get your case full flowed, plug
the outlet side of your new oil pump, and use Gene Berg's pressure relief
full flow pump cover. Get the one for use with late buses. It has the corect
40 degree outlet fitting. This cover interfers slightly with the rear hanger
but not the shroud. You'll have to remove some of the hanger. The cover is
about $59 retail. This way you can put a remote filter anywhere you want.
Also you can use copper lines and fittings if you don't want to use rubber.
And if money permits an external oil cooler! Take alook at Toby's setup for
a picture of what i'm talking about.

Off hand i can't remember any thing bad about hydraulic systems, but then
again your going to push them to their limits! ;)

Eric
1968 VW Blue Fastback
Yeah I would run the hydraulics to the limit.

I have never
had problems with hydraulics on my other non VW.
My cooling system is added in leu of the regular,
even though quite efficient, Stock VW cooler.
I already have a 92 pass mesa cooler with a nine inch
fan with a inline filter.

 The lines are 900 lbs
pressure lines and the mesa cooler has a
burst strength of 300 + lbs, my oil filter that
is inline are always the racing type that has a
higher burst strength. The pressure releif was
spring enhanced only at the cooler and not at the
regular releif valve, this way I always have
oil flowing through the cooler and filter as the
full flow intends and never had a blown filter, lines,
leaks, or any oil light on , even towards the
end of my cam gear grindup. never any large particles
in my my oil, just microscopic. Never ferrous
fuzz noted on my magnets for 50,000 miles, ever.
I think I did something right.

 I am just one of those
paranoid reluctant guys who likes big flow pumps and
keeping the grinder off the my mounting bar.
I had an ugly incident once when I ran over a
boulder, I bent the mount bar, I shutter to think
that if it were weaker my engine would
have been dragging. I was too embarrassed
to repeat this tory to the list as well as my
sump destruction off road story at the time.
This is when I tore my tranny mount.

I do not know how evryone feels about what
I did with the oiling but I feel that I
have done something right for me without the
grinding supports away . I destroy things
engine must have it's defenses intact.

I am stil thinking about quiet hydraulics
but waiting for some money to fall from the sky.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA