Re: [T3] Virus Warning Important!

> I think it is a good Idea to let people know that if you get an email
> fromsome that it could kill your system. This new virus that is out will
> attach itself to your emailer and send emails that looks like it was from

	Actually, no, it won't; well, I'm being excessively literal here
-- that is to say, for many of us, it will not infect our mailers, as we
don't happen to use software that is susceptible to these viruses.

> that email owner. I don't see a problem in it. As long it is one of those
> FYI things.....

	By that logic, it would be even more appropriate to post things
such as Surgeon General's warnings, or advice on nutrition and excercise,
as these are even more relevant to all listees than the virus/worm
warnings.  Many listees may be running Outlook, but many are not;
meanwhile, every last one of us has a heart to take care of, eh?

	Now, if a virus should happen to be distributed via the list, then
it is an administrative issue for the list.  I can even see some latitude
where some list subscriber gets infected, and realizes that the worm has
rummaged through his/her computer and scored loads of e-mail addresses of
fellow listees either via an address book or via an inbox full of list
posts.  In that sort of case, something like "Ack! I got infected, and I
have good reason to believe that the worm sent itself to many list
subscribers" is just the thing.  Such a situation may be similar in scope
to a virus being spread directly by the list itself.

	Further, I do not think that people should rely on a vintage
Volkswagen list as their primary source of information regarding viruses
or security issues for some particular mail application.  If you're
concerned about keeping safe, there are many, many resources for doing so
-- updates of your antivirus software, CERT, BUGTRAQ, mainstream news
sources like CNN, a local IT staff if you've got one, the Web site of the
authors of the software you use, your ISP's Web site or newsgroup, etc.

	Again, if there is strong reason to believe that a virus or worm
may be going to people because of their Type III list subscription status
(either direct list distribution, or through an infected listee's address
book of many Type III listees), then it's much more relevant to the list.
Also, if you do feel the need to inform the list in such a rare situation,
please include one or more links to Web sites which offer authoritative
information about the problem and solutions to the problem, as well as
descriptons of what sort of software/platform may be susceptible.  Good
sources often include CERT, the Web pages of anitvirus software sellers,
and the Web pages of the folks who made the compromised software.

	Here's a good rule of thumb:  if you can start your post with
"Everybody, because you're Type III listees, there's strong reason to
believe that you've just received a virus from me (or another listee),"
then you should probably post as soon as possible.  However, if your post
could start with "Everybody, because you've got a computer and use e-mail,
I think you might like to know about this virus," then that's drifting
off-topic.

	You could also try the health analogy as a test -- a message of
"Brand X hot dogs may have en e. coli infection" may be useful, but
off-topic; however, "Everybody who just ate a hot dog at the Parma Type
III meet today, get to a doctor, fast!" would likely be appropriate to
post to this list. :)

Regards,
-Greg