RE: [T3] Steel Backed Main Bearings

was this info from the type 3 shop manual? There's nothing on the
scan that I can see that makes it clear that this applies to type 3
engines.

Yes, the scan was from one of the blue folder VW manuals; 'Volkswagen 1500 Workshop Manual', From volume 1, section M10 (2a).

Like Russ said, there's probably none of these around any more, especially if dealers were being instructed not to rebuild these motors. Another one for the history/curios folder I think!

Gary
Essex
UK