Re: [T3] Mystry wire

On 30 Jul 2001, at 0:47, Dave Hall wrote:

> > We looked at some the guy had on the shelf and found a
> > 021E with a potentiometer.
>
> Just to check, was the start of the part number 311 (Type 3) or 021 (Type
> 4)?  I thought I had  found one with a potentiometer, until I realised it
> started 021 (or 022?) and was for a Type 4.

Oops, Dave's right. That would NOT be "411" as I had written.

> I was told by a VW service engineer that VW did supply a Type 3 brain with a
> potentiometer where the CO level wasn't correct even when everything checked
> out OK otherwise, but that's just hearsay rather than hard evidence for
> their existence, after all the years in between.

I've got Bosch literature and parts lists and VW literature and parts
lists. None of them mention the possibility of a CO pot on a type 3
brain. The only places I've seen it mentioned was in aftermarket
manuals where it is accompanied by a picture of a type 4
installation (or 914.) I'd be willing to be that this is just one of those
things that got started somehow and now has a life of its own.

OTOH, there is mention in the VW parts list of a special cyl head
temp sensor to be used in certain circumstances. It refs a
workshop bulletin which I don't have, so I don't know what it is for.
Anyone have any ideas? I've never seen one.