Re: [T3] Oh No! Rust!

>On a side note, when i removed the rear fenders to check for rust
>underneath of them i found that a lot of the sealer that vw used to seal
>the joints to keep out dirt for the cooling air is coming loose. Had
>anyone had this problem? I guess i will just use por15 por patch to
>replace the loose pieces. Is there something that i am not thinking of
>that would work well for this? I don't want to have to do it again.

I found the exact same thing last month when I removed my right rear fender
so the guy doing my floorboard could also access the wheel well (the
damaged section here was much larger than yours so it necessitated a sheet
metal patch). Because the sealer was cracked and falling off all the way
around (to be specific, I'm talking about the body filler stuff used to
seal the panel directly in front of the rear wheels) what I ended up doing
was knocking off all the loose pieces and then filling the gap with a bunch
o por15. My main concern was to halt the light surface rust that was
appearing around the seams. I don't know how effective this approach will
be in the long run but it seemed a better option than doing nothing!
Especially since there are no cosmetic issues involved.
Thoughts/experiences/tactics anyone else?

DY
68sq