RE:[T3] Leon's Engine Autopsie report(the conclusion)

 Leon, my guess is that the cam gear had some slight wear, along with a
possible burr on the crank gear to help eat it. Jim does have a good point
that some cam gears are larger and that VW also had a way of matching cam
gears with crank gears to get the best possible mileage out of them. You can
get a cam with a dish or you can just swap to a flat gear and change the oil
pump(thats what determines which gear/pump combo to use).If you think the cam
is ok then just swap out the gear as most of todays cam/lifter combos seem to
have a problem going flat--see Gene Berg write up on this. I sure hope that
your air tube was the problem of cracking the head as usually its heat that
does this(from continuous high speed driving) , ie the valve not sitting in
the seat long enough to cool the valve that in turn eats the valve(continued
stretching of the valve, tightening of valve clearance). Don't know if this
helps or not, but thanks for the report.
Bob 65 Notch S w/ sunroof open and enjoying the COOL weather