Re: [T3] High Idle

On 28 Jul 2001, at 7:40, jim-a-lim wrote:

> One of the first things I did was to see if the gas pedal was stuck
> somehow.  No dice.  I should have said that in my first email.

Okay, but did you check the little lever with the roller that Russ
mentioned, to make sure that the throttle cable is being released
completely?

> All the hoses are fine... Except for one hose that was not connected
> when I initially bought the car, but it ran fine without that hose.  I
> intend to replace it, I have a diagram of how the vacuum hoses should
> hook up.  The vacuum hoses seem fine (pressure sensor to air intake,
> air cleaner to auxillary air to air intake).  But, like Jim A.
> metioned, the idle just starts out as about 2000 and sits there very
> happily.  It does not lope, drop or change.

What hose is missing?

If it just sits there and doesn't drop, then either the throttle is not
closing, or the throttle valve switch is mis adjusted. Check the
cable first. It's possible that the cable is hooked on something
where it passes by the transmission, but you can check it by
releasing it, or just pulling rearward to see if this slows down the
idle. If you're not sure where the cable is on the engine, have a
friend push down on the throttle while you watch the engine; you'll
see what is happening.

> The throttle vavle switch is the black box next to the air intake on
> the right side, correct?  Can it be cleaned or fixed OR do I just need
> a new one?  The electrical connection to the switch was securely on
> when I poked at that area of the car.

Right. It may just need adjustment. This is covered in the Bentley
manual.

> I have another question, when I removed the hose to the auxillary air
> valve and put my thumb there, it was obviously sucking in air (I could
> feel it).  The idle didn't drop with my thumb blocking the air.  Is it
> possible that this, although not the root of my current problem, could
> need some adjustment as well?

It's probably fine. It's not part of your problem here.