Re: AT mysteries revealed (was Re: [T3] AT deathmatch)

Subject: Re: AT mysteries revealed (was Re: [T3] AT deathmatch)

> Yes, it turns out that the outside lever is rotating on the shaft.
> Argh.  The flats on the internal lever look great -- brand new.
>
> So, you just pop out the cylindrical shaft with the outer lever
> right?  No sweat, eh?
>
> Well... no.  It hits smack! into the trailing arm, still needing
> about 3/4" of travel to get free.
>
> It ain't comin' out without dropping the tranny.  It wouldn't have
> to drop much, actually -- I could see disconnecting the drivetrain as a
> unit, and lowering it primarily at the front end, just to get this part
> out.  Sigh.

You should be able to drop the front of the tranny what you need without
disconnceting anything else.
Carefully support the tranny with a floor jack, and then remove the 4 bolts
holding the mount to the frame. Then slowly lower the trans what you need to
get the arm out.

> Does anybody have a spare, good lever assembly they'd like to sell
> so that I could just swap?  If you've got one mounted in a junk tranny,
> note that you have to remove both a 14mm lock nut on the inside end of the
> shaft, as well as a 10mm set screw inside the tranny that kind of locks
the
> shaft so that it can't slide in and out of the tranny housing.

I have a spare automatic tranny. But I hate to rob parts off it because it
is a good trans. If all else fails, I could take the arm off of it. Maybe
someone else has a junker automatic.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/