Re: [T3] High Idle

Subject: [T3] High Idle

> Hi all...
>
> After going to the movies earlier this week I started the car up and it
had a very high
> idle (~2000, just a guess).  It drives fine. When I release the clutch and
start to
> engage the gas/accelerator it takes the pedal a bit to exceed the idle.
The accelerator
> cable is not stuck and I cannot adjust the idle via the screw at the air
intake.

> >From the list archives I found a trouble shooting guide for high idle
> (http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/4123/?).  I have a few quick
questions.

> What is the throttle valve and where is it located?  I don't believe this
to be my
> problem but it is step A.  The idle also did not drop when I removed the
intake hose to
> the auxillary air regulator and blocked it with my thumb.  The next step
is to pull the
> intake elbow off the throttle valve support.  So this is where I get
stuck.  The engine
> is idling too high (and thus too noisy) to listen for vacuum leaks.  If I
remember, I can
> spray WD-40 around possible leak areas to see if that lessens the leak and
thus, lowers
> the idle.
>
> Any other ideas?  Basically I parked the car and it was driving fine, two
hours later
> after the movie the engine was in jet status!  Or at least as loud as one
:)  I had a
> beetle with FI but that was a different beast and I'm trying to acclimate
to the parts
> and their location for this system.

Check the throttle linkage at the pedal. The arm that the roller is on. I
have seen these get dirt accumulated in them and get stuck. Also see if the
hook on the cable is in its hole properly.
Unhook the cable at the engine and see if the idle drops. this will tell if
you have linkage problems, or problems at the engine.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/