Re: [T3] Kickdown switch

Subject: Re: [T3] Kickdown switch

> On 27 Jul 2001, at 1:25, JK wrote:
>
> >  I have been wondering over the years if I really need this item on my
> > Squareback 1973. I used to have Fuel injection on my engine, they were
> > no good so I switched over to stock Dual Carbs. I have Automatic
> > Tranny. Been using for 5 years without kickdown switch then a thought
> > came to me. Does my car really need Kickdown switch? What does it
> > really do ?
>
> It forces the AT to "kick" down into a lower gear if you mash the
> throttle to the floor. It is useful, but most people will never notice if
> it isn't working.

I have never gotten mine to work right. (the wife never seems to be around
to push the pedal when I need her), so I just use the shift lever to force
it when needed. I don't worry about the first to second shift as most of my
driving is highway.
BTW, the "new" gas tank I got from John Jaransen seems to have cured my
performance problems.  When I pulled the old tank out, the screen was mostly
plugged AGAIN (for the 4th time).
I was running late for work the other morning, and found out that the old
girl still had it in her.  Had her up over 90mph on the river bottom flats
for 5 miles, and passed a semi on a steep hill.
Damn, I must be hanging around Toby too much. :=]

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/