Re: [T3] Steel Backed Main Bearings

On 27 Jul 2001, at 4:10, Miller, Gary (G.) wrote:

> The link below is to a quick scan of the workshop manual (1965) page
> that explains about these steel backed bearings. It seems like it's
> not just the two-piece one! There's an interesting note about using
> Aluminium bearings in these engines.
>
> http://www.dellorto.freeserve.co.uk/steelback.htm
>
> Has anyone ever seem one of these engines with the white S on the
> fanhousing?

Very interesting indeed! No, I've never seen one of these. The
engine/chassis numbers don't look quite right for the dates given;
was this info from the type 3 shop manual? There's nothing on the
scan that I can see that makes it clear that this applies to type 3
engines.

It's also interesting that they just refer to "steel bearings," not steel
backed bearings. I can't imagine that they would be solid steel.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054