Re: [T3] Help, I need 3 pedals on the floor!

On 26 Jul 2001, at 15:53, kelly wrote:

> O K, I've responded to a few things out there before, but now I have a
> question. How difficult is it to change an automatic over to a 4
> speed.
>
> The car in question is a '69 fasty.

The hard part is, I think, the clutch cable tube. I have never seen an
AT pan with it installed, although there are reports of them from the
UK. I suspect that VW did not bother to make different versions of
the pans for RHD.

For 69 the shift lever and shift rod support plate are also a problem.
In later cars you just bolt in the right assembly from a donor car.

> that the rear subframe is O K, but am I wrong here?

There may be a difference here in 69, but at worst you just bolt in
an MT subframe, which is not too big a deal.

> My apologies to all the fans of the auto, I know it's a great
> transmission and very overbuilt, but I never learned how to drive an
> automatic!

;-)

-
Jim Adney