Re: [T3] Need New Carbs

At 12:49 AM -0400 7/26/01, Keira and Mike wrote:
>Did the automatic transmission T3s come with carbs?

	Not in the U.S.  Putting "generic" carbs on an auto Type III,
you'll have some fuss with the kickdown switch, for example.

>> One of my carbs is beat. I rebuilt them a few months ago, but
>> I thinks its just too old. But my Fastback starts right up and
>> can get over 80. Terrible gas milage though.  When I called J-bugs
>> for a new one or a kit, they told me its a carb for a Bus????
>> So now I am thinking of getting a whole new set. Maybe you guys
>> could help me out.
>> I now have 34PDSIT carbs. My left one is bad. (or worse than
>> the right)

	Are you sure you don't have *32* PDSIT carbs?  Those are your best
bet for the Type III -- they're the stock carb (though not for '70 in the
U.S., of course).

>> Can I replace it with a 34PICT-3? I can find those in any catalog.

	Nope!  That's a Beetle/Bus carb, for an upright single-carb engine.
Different beast.

>> Or is it better to buy a Weber Duel 34ICT or DK 1311 ?? Those
>> cost $400. I now use a 009 distributor, no vacumn. I am looking
>> for more power. Can you recommend what to do? The money is not
>> the issue, since I spend so much $$ on this car anyways.

	If money is not the issue, and you want power, you might want to
start from scratch and rethink your whole engine, or even consider a Type
IV...!  Also, why not hunt down the correct rebuild kits for the carbs you
have?

Good luck!
-Greg