Re: [T3] Electronic Ignition.....?(any thoughts)

Subject: RE: [T3] Electronic Ignition.....?(any thoughts)

> Christ, again...
>
> No point float

I have never had point float on a stock VW...

> No need to ever worry about gapping.

I have never had to regap a set of point that had been installed properly...

> No need to replace (I still have my original set from '95)

$2.50 about once a year. You should pull the cap off that often just to
check how things are working...

> They are hidden inside the distributor cap so it's not like some purist is
> gonna scream out at the top of their lungs through a megaphone while
you're
> entered in a show and let everyone know that you car is not completely
> stock!  Sheeeeeeeesh!!

And I never enter my cars in car shows. So who cares what is under the cap.

> They work just fine and there's nothing wrong with them, especially if you
> would like to actually pull your butt out of the 20th century.  They're a
> convenience.  It's not like someone is replacing the FI for carbs.

Every time someone here on the list has installed electornic, they seem to
have problems. And there is nothing wrong with something that has worked for
over 100 years. I think they may have the bugs worked out by now.

> If you want stock points, fine, play with them all you want, there's
nothing
> wrong with using them.
> If you want electronic points, fine, get them and never worry about them
> again.
>
> I am totally failing to understand why some people treat them like
voodoo --
> must be the same mentality used by mechanics who are afraid of the stock
FI.

And I have never switched a car from FI to carbs. I was probably working on
FI before most of the people on the list were even born. I enjoy both.
Nothing wrong with either, if done right. The same goes for points verses
Electronic. Nothing wrong with either if done right.
I was just saying to weigh the costs, and what you expect.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/