Re: [T3] 71 Fasty Engine help? Please, if there is a VW God Please HELP!!!

On 24 Jul 2001, at 13:20, Mike wrote:

> "When you pull off the SP wires is there a
> spark that jumps those gaps?"
>
> Yes, as I remove the wires and hold it from the distributer socket it
> does arc a spark.

Okay, then it is probably not an ignition problem.

> "check for a bunch of white FI  ground wires near the center of the
> engine. Are all those wires  connected? Are any of those wires broken?
> Work carefully with those wires, they are fragile and you can easily
> do more harm than good with them."
>
> Yes, all of those wires are connected to a central ground bolt, I also
> loosened the bolt, and moved the wires a little then tighten the bolt
> back down to make sure the ground was getting a good connection.

Okay, then it is likely that the grounds are okay.

> I also changed the distributer cap to the original one that was on it
> when I purchased the car and it had the same symptoms, so I put the
> new one back on.   I have another distributer that is a bosch but not
> from a bug...from a vw jetta i think,

Only a type 3 dist will work. There is a set of FI trigger points built
into the base of this dist. Pull out your dist and remove those lower
points from the side of the dist. Clean the points with a clean sheet
of paper (DO NOT FILE.) Check that you have good continuity thru
both sets of points with your DVM. Carefully check all the wires to
make sure that you don't have a broken wire somewhere hidden up
inside one of the rubber boots.

Check the injector connectors. On each side there was originally 1
black boot and one grey boot. Both black boots are supposed to
be at the front (or was it the rear? I can never remember....) If you
have one in front and one in back then one side is reversed and this
means that your failing cylinders ARE related to a common trigger
point.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org