RE: [T3] Original or Custom

"Original" is synonymous to "restored" in my opinion.  You are putting the
car back to the shape/condition as it was when it came new from the
dealership.  You are putting the car back to its original condition (as
close as can be)...you are restoring it.  Same difference.

Whether custom or restored, it's gonna cost money if you do everything
correctly.  Both are challenging.  If you stay stock you really can't go
wrong should you ever want to sell the car because it will be in good shape
and in a condition in which maintenance and repair will be made easy since a
mechanic can use a standard shop manual to fix it.  Nothing new or exotic to
try and understand.  And it is possible to perform custom work to the car
that is reversible, thus allowing the car to be returned to stock should the
desire ever come -- this is pretty much what I've been doing with my
Jetta...my Squareback is drowning in the murky sludge of the DarkSide so she
doesn't really have a chance :)

Custom is tricky because the car is designed to the tastes of the owner.
And not everyone has the same tastes (I wonder if some people have any
taste... :)  Selling it can be a little more difficult.  If you mess with
the drivetrain and sell the car, be sure to do the buyer a favor by WRITING
DOWN all changes made so when it comes their time to adjust this or fix that
they won't screw things up.

Don't expect to turn a profit, either.  Just because you sink $10K into a
custom car (well, even stock) doesn't mean you will get at least that amount
back!  When in doubt, get it appraised.  I've sunk over $10K in my baby but
she's currently appraised at $8K for insurance purposes and that would
probably be the most I could think of getting if I wanted to sell her right
now (if I ever became delusional, insane AND stupid all at the same time).
Although, once I get the body-off paint and black leather interior done some
day...

Be wary of after-market parts, especially 'custom' stuff.  A lot is of
questionable nature.  Try to stick with original stuff - NOS - and German
parts as much as possible, even if you go custom.

   Toby Erkson
   air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/