Re: [T3] Original or Custom

On 23 Jul 2001, at 22:03, Rob Harshbarger wrote:

>     My question is perhaps a matter of taste.  First, what is the
> definition of "original" when it comes to restoring older cars?
> Second, after talking to my father in law, who restores old fords
> into custom hotrods, I'm debating whether I would be better off
> customizing my 68 or attempting to keep to it original.  I'm
> wondering which might hit harder in the pocket book and in the end
> be a better return on the investment.  Also, I'm assuming a custom
> job would make it easier to find parts, etc...but I might be wrong.

There really is very little question about the meaning of "original:" it
had to come that way from the factory. Likewise the use of the
word "restore" should not be confused with the word "customize."

Greg is right. Everyone will agree if a car is original, and if you are
looking at this as an investment, customizing a car that is already
in good original condition would be a foolish and wasteful thing to
do. The value of a custom cars is in the eyes of the beholder,
which means that your chances of finding someone who agrees
with you are pretty slim.

Yes, there are lots of places out there eager to sell you custom
parts, while original parts can be much harder to find. Be careful of
some of the custom parts, they are often poorly designed or made.
In most cases the original part was designed to be sturdy and
functional, while the custom part is seldom done with this in mind.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054