Re: [T3] 71 Fasty Engine help? Please, if there is a VW God Please HELP!!!

On 23 Jul 2001, at 11:10, Mike wrote:

> I put this thing up on a lift to get a better view of things and it
> appears there is a Very Bad oil leak coming from the head gasket on
> the passenger side (assuming that the head gasket is between where the
> coiling fins meet together)  I am not a mechanic just fairly
> mechanically reclined)..lol

There's really no head gasket per se, but this sounds like you have
a loose head. This can be a bad sign, or it could be fairly easy to
fix. OTOH, if it is leaking a lot of oil, then it is probably just a leaky
valve cover gasket, which is easy to fix.

> A Bentley no...A Haines manual to boot.  Bentley costs about 60 bucks
> and will have to wait til next month...no more money left in this
> month's budget.   :(

The Bentley should be $30-40 new, I have good used ones, too.

> Um I am loosing alotta patience with this thing...I need it as a daily
> driver for two weeks and then I will have one of my others outta the
> shop. I have reached the end of my rope.

I'm afraid that trying to fix it without any experience and without a
manual will just be non productive and frustrating. There's little
point in doing this just to get yourself angry at the car. You
probably need to take a break from it and see if there's anything
you can do to speed up the other car.

I don't know what your situation is, but it's summer, and I'm riding
my bike to work. For my 3 mile commute, it saves me time, money
and gas, and I get the exercise bonus thrown in for free.  ;-)

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054