Re: [T3] Serious cooling problems!! HELP.

On 23 Jul 2001, at 12:08, Will Barratt wrote:

> I think I have a serious problem with the cooling of my 71 Fastback. I
> drove it back from a show on Sunday (about a 2 hour drive) and when I
> got home I opened the engine compartment and the heat seemed very
> extreme! After you couldnāt touch any part of the engine or its
> components, fan housing, coil, generator etc were all too hot to
> touch, even for a second!

This is too subjective to be certain of anything. It could be normal
or it could be seriously overheated.

> How could we tell if the cooling flaps are opening properly? The
> engine was rebuilt last November and we repeatedly tested that it
> worked fine then. How can they be serviced without pulling the engine?

Test it the same way you did then. How did you do it then?

> We put a dab of white paint on the end of the Īflap armā to see if
> would move after a drive but Iām reluctant to try this as I want to
> avoid any unnecessary damage to the engine.

What "flap arm"? Can you look at it now?

> I did the timing, valve clearance and points on the Friday just in
> case that makes any difference.

Always a good move!  ;-)

Where are you located? Maybe there's someone close to you who
can help.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org