[T3] Rear Fender Louvers

Okay, those of you in the know . . . tell me if I have been duped.

I asked the previous owner of the '69 squareback I recently
bought about the replacement louvers on the car.  In return
e-mail, this is the information I received about the rear fender
louvers:  "I spoke with a guy that restores old VW busses and
he said that those vents (the replacement louvers) were factory
recalls that reversed the louvers to draw air in.  The old style
were set so that air passing by would draw air out.  The only
problem with that is, you'd have to be going, like, over 95 mph
for that to work properly.  So, this would make sense since my
grandpa bought the car in 1969 from the dealer and they did
this as a factory recall change."

I then asked him why I haven't seen any others like it with the
replacement louvers.  His reply was, "The modification was done
at the dealer, by the dealer.  According to the guy I talked to,
(the guy that restores old VW busses) most people didn't take
their cars in for the factory upgrades because it cost them money,
didn't have time, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, etc."

So . . . am I just too gullible or are y'all saying that the added-on
louvers are semi-stock even though they are, shall we say, less
than attractive?

Vicki Molleston - '69 Squareback
Seattle, Washington