Re: [T3] 71 Fasty Engine help? Please, if there is a VW God Please HELP!!!

On 21 Jul 2001, at 21:38, rx4mike@ezy.net wrote:

> Hello all.  I am Very new to this list like 3 days new.  I have a 71' Fastback
> that has been running great.  Until two days ago, We got ALOTTA rain.  And the
> car started jumping and sputtering REAL bad

>From your symptoms, I'd check 2 things:

1) Measure the charging system regulating voltage. After a drive to
warm up the engine and charge the battery, measure the battery
voltage at medium RPM. It should be 14.1-14.4V. If it is under
13.5V replace the voltage regulator with a genuine Bosch.

2) If your overflow hose is cracked/broken (rubber hose attached to
the rear side of the filler neck) driving in the rain will pump water
into the gas tank. These commonly fail, and water in the gas will
cause you lots of problems.