[T3] 71 Fasty Engine help? Please, if there is a VW God Please HELP!!!

Hello all.  I am Very new to this list like 3 days new.  I have a 71' Fastback
that has been running great.  Until two days ago, We got ALOTTA rain.  And the
car started jumping and sputtering REAL bad.  I figured it was the spark plug
wires.  I changed the wires and it got alittle better...It wasn't so erratic
while going down the road.  But it still feels like it is only running on two
cylinders.  I put new spark plugs in today figuring the misfiring wires just
fowled the plugs.  WRONG!  I have changed everything with the ignition with
new parts.  I will list the symptoms Hopefully someone will have the answer.

1.  Will not idle, seems to surge hi then lo.
2.  Car won't go over 50 miles an hour, has no power.
3.  Was runnig great with lots of power until it rained.
4.  After the car has been going for about 20-25 minutes it begins to backfire,
like something is awakening then after about 5 or ten more minutes it starts
running like it should, but still surging and power real erratic.
5.  car just began burning LOTS of fuel and getting like 4-9 miles to the gallon.
 Smokes alot now blackish grey.
what I have done to the motor so far.
1.  New cap, wires, plugs, condenser, only run 93 octane in it
2.  Good fuel pump, I have also put Duralube injector cleaner in it.  Has always
worked for me in the past on other vehicles.

Someone told me that the had a t3 that the fuel injection computer would get
wet and it would run like a ford...lol ( I hate fords).  Could this be the problem?

Anyone Help Please.

Thanks

Mike

rx4mike@ezy.net