Re: [T3] fan house & cooling tin

In a message dated 7/21/01 12:56:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
69notch@aircooled.net writes:

<< Subj:     RE: [T3] fan house & cooling tin
 Date:  7/21/01 12:56:18 PM Central Daylight Time
 From:  69notch@aircooled.net (Freddie Lochner)
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 > From: Richard Visser [mailto:rtvisser@xs4all.nl]
 >
 > tin. What are your ideas on restoring these parts before putting it all
 > back together?

 Richard,

 I had all my tin powder coated in semi-gloss black, which looks really good,
 and the fan housing in silver.  Almost wish I hadn't done the fan housing.
 It's a little too shiny for my taste, but they did a good job and I'm
 getting used to it.

 Otherwise, you can just clean and repaint it, but you may have to do it
 again in a few years to keep it looking good.

 Good luck,
 Freddie Lochner
 http://devoted.to/my69notch
 69 Notch
 66 Fasty

I had all engine tin powder coated black for three VW engines. It cost about
$180 per engine to powder coat, I think. That includes the cost to sandblast
the tin.  You can save about half the cost, if you sandblast the parts
yourself. But many are too big for our sand blaster. So I paid to have the
parts sandblasted.

They look beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that I'm planning to powder coat
engine tin  on all my cars. There's one that I have thought of powder coating
"blue" instead of "black".  What are the ramifications of having engine tin
powder coated "blue". I've always heard that the color should be black to
help engine cooling. Is there any truth to that?

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com