[T3] Cooling flaps question

Someone asked a cooling flaps question yesterday, and I realized
that there was something I meant to add.

Whenever I have one of these engines apart, one of the things I do
is to use a hacksaw to cut a kerf in the end of the rod that the
cooling flaps rotate on. Make this cut so that the kerf is parallel to
the cooling flaps and you can always tell at a glance what the
orientation of the flaps is. You can also put a screwdriver into this
slot and check whether the rod is frozen, loose, or connected to its
linkage.

I strongly recommend this be done for every type 3 rebuild.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054