Re: type3-d Digest V01 #423

Subject: Re: type3-d Digest V01 #423

> On 19 Jul 2001, at 8:31, Richard Green wrote:
>
> > And I thought mine was the only one that had the sloppy 2-3 shift. I
> > have to let of the gas so it doesn't  slip?
>
> I actually find that letting off the gas makes it worse. Mine shifts
> fine if I put my foot into it and the shift occurs above 45 MPH. This
> doesn't help around town, however.
>
> -
The last of the T-3 automatics were a little different. They had an
accumulator for the 2-3 shift to make it softer. I guess the customers
complained about a "harsh: shift.
This is not to say that the trans is not getting tired, but it is something
the think about. If you get a chance to drive another T-3 automatic of your
vintage, or an older one, take it. See if is the same as yours.
My '71 does the same thing when I pull out from work at night. Hesitates
going into 3rd. After I stop at the stop light about 1/4 mile from the
plant, everything is fine, but after the light, I am getting on it harder,
because I am heading into a 55 mph zone.
I am going to rebuild mine here in the near future, but I haven't decided
whether to build the one in the car, or rebuild my spare '69 automatic. I
don't think the '69 has that accumulator in it.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/