Re: [T3] engine rebuild questions #...4?

On 18 Jul 2001, at 21:55, Barry Viss wrote:

> 1. When I took my engine tin off, there was a piece of foam or padding
> or insulation above the oil cooler squished between it and the tin.
> What is this for?

It is a seal to keep air from bypassing EVERYTHING and slipping
by over the top of the air cleaner. These disintegrate in parts
cleaner, so I replace them with polyurethane foam that I buy, cut to
shape, and glue back to the cooler.

> 2. People were recently talking about centering the inner fan housing
> so as not to rub on the fan.  What is the way to do this?  It seems to
> tight to do by sight, and of course I don't have the special VW tool.

Most places ignore this, but I just made a sleeve that has one end
that fits snugly in the case and a step the size of the hole in the
fan housing.

> 3.  Also, the bently describes how to adjust the automatic cooling
> flaps: the lower edge should be 1 to 2 mm from the fan housing when
> cold.  Really? Mine were not even close when I took them off.  I plan
> to put a mark of some sort on the rod that connects the two, where it
> is outside the housing, so I can see how much they actually turn when
> the engine gets warmed up.  Any other thoughts on this?

The thermostats seem to get "tired" with age and give less and
less travel. I just set mine so that the flaps are wide open when the
top of the thermostat is pressed against the top of the thermostat
bracket.

> 4. Speaking of the automatic cooling, I have to put on the bracket
> thing under the head nuts before I torque the heads, right?  With the
> washers on the head side of the bracket?  Funny, the Bentley dosen't
> mention this... someone not paying attention, like me, could easily
> forget. :-)  Anything else they forgot to mention?!?!

You'v got it right. I'm sure there are lots of things not mentioned,
there are even some mistakes, but if you use common sense and
look at how things need to go together to work properly you will
usually be right. If in doubt, ask questions here.

> 5.  On page 11 of the engine section in Bentley, under installing
> muffler and rear heat exchanger, it says:  "Use new self-locking nuts.
>  Do not use standard nuts and lockwashers."  are they talking about
> the nuts to the head?  Is this REALLY necessary, or can I use the
> original ones if the threads are fine?

The original nuts were steel with stainless Helicoil inserts. They
were very special and were much less likely to seize to the studs
and cause you to break them off. I have never seen these nuts in
replacement kits. I use brass nuts to get the same effect.

> 6.  On the subect of molybdenum disulfide, the Bentley also says to
> use it on the oil return threads of the fan.  What on earth for?  I
> await your decision on whether to use the stuff anywhere else
> discussed earlier...

I have no idea. I just wire brush the oil return groove to make sure
it's clean, and oil it to keep it from rusting.

> P.S.  I thought you guys said RIMCO was quick??  I sent my heads to
> them on June 28.  On Monday I called yet again and they said they were
> going to ship them on Tuesday. (July 17)   grumble grumble...

They have always been quick for me on case work, but I can
imagine that head work might be more individualized. Still, it's too
bad that it has taken this long.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org