[T3] Source of Noise, What Part?

Well, I went to a muffler shop today to see if I could get the crack fixed
(which I couldn't because the metal was too thin -- if anyone has a good T3
muffler for sale [73 Square] please let me know).  It turns out the crack
was not the source of the noise.  I did identify the actual source, but I
dont know what part it is.
It is right behind the muffler next to the rear passenger side (lhd) wheel.
It has two little pipes sticking down that look as if they should have a
hose attatched to them.  But there is nothing on it, and it is the source of
a lot of exhaust and noise when the car is running.  What is this part?  And
what belongs on the end of those little pipes to quiet it down?  If this is
a smog regulator of some sort, can the pipes be capped since I dont need it
smogged?

-Matt Small
www.ocvv.org