Re: [T3] Loud and Jerky

Your loud and jerky problem may be unrelated.
You have found your loud problem ? Crack in the muffler
or the pipe ?

If all of your loud problems is the the muffler , it
 can be temporarly repaired using a muffler patch kit
 from almost any parts store. This kit will contain a
 mesh and some hi temp ceramic paste but if the crack
 is at the seam , I would recommend welding , this is a
permanent fix , depending of the quality work of the
welder. I have had my stuff welded before it works
fine except on my aftermarket paper thin Bug Pack setup.

The braking feeling you got, to me was the push pull
intermittant feeling I had when my injection system
was giving me problems two years ago. My wiring had
alot of possible breaks and some intermitant opens ,
this was a nightmare that I fixed with patience , little
by little , connector by connector , the only pieces
on my wiring I replaced were the blade connectors that
came with crimped piece of wire , this is what some
people call pig tails, got these from a VW dealership
, just had one in hand as an example. These fit in the
plastic connector holders I reused; the rubber boots
came from mercedes and volvo junk cars ( can be gotten
new from the those dealerships).
I did not replace my harness as some people do , just
refurbished all connectors and added the peice of wire
supplied with the connector then I rewrapped the exposed
wiring with lots of good quality electrical tape.
I did this little by little a little every weekend
as I drove the car since I needed it at the time .

Your other possibilty are the EFI points (check connection
on this too) These guys are a pain to because they always seem
to be in good condition when they are not. Mine were
slow to close because the grease in the 'hinges ' were gummy.
I fixed this by placing them in solvent (gasoline is my favorite)
for a while an them manully open and let close, they should close
quickly. One problem a listee had was that these were not conductive
at the rivets or the place that puts them together at the wiring.
She replaced these and this problem ceased.

After I did all of this (EFI points and wiring when I first got the car)
the fuel injectors were making the engine push and pull the car at
highway speeds. I checked them and found that they all peed a stream
instead of spraying a conical mist. These injectors all cutoff at
higher spraying on/off speeds. I found that these were not cleanable
so I replaced these with new Bosch ones avoid the ones rebuilt
by PYTHON, rebuilds by Bret instrument are good.

Replacing my injectors two years ago made my engine run cooler,
faster and very smooth, no more of that push pull feeling.

If you beleive if your injectors are the culprit then pour additive
to gas and see if this problem clears up; if it does not, then
take your injectors to your local EFI shop for cleaning.
Make sure this shop checks your injectors at on/off at simulated
high engine simulated speed, if they do not , they will not
know if the now clean injectors cut off at higher speeds. These
higher speed cutoffs are common on high mileage cars (same rebuilt
engine or replaced engine but same injectors) like mine
that have a couple of turns on the odometer. I have now put
over 50000 miles on my formally new injectors during a less
than two year period and still perfect.

I hope this helps you.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO