Re: [T3] Valve Lubrication

On 18 Jul 2001, at 5:34, Phil Castro wrote:

> All this valve talk is well timed since I'll be trying
> my first adjustment tonight.  I do have one question
> before I start though.  I pulled the cover last night
> and looked in and it seemed far too dirty and dry in
> there.  Can I clean the inside somehow (there were
> actually deposits of grime in some places).  Also,
> once it's clean should I just dump motor oil all over
> to lube under the valve cover.

You are certainly free to try to wipe off grime, but this area
SHOULD be oily. The engine should pump oil out the pushrod
tubes which should spray all over everything when the engine runs.

What year is this? Is it possible that you have a 72-3 with the
vented rocker boxes and that the vent hoses are off and sucking in
dirt?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org