[T3] T3] Valve adjustment

I also would like to thank the list for all of the great posts over the
years.  I too have just started getting under the hood (I mean the trunk) of
my squareback and have found this a great resource along with the Bentley,
the Muir and to a lesser extent the Haynes manuals.
Like Peter, I also did my first valve adjustment this weekend.  I found one
exhaust at .009 and another at .003 and put them both at .006.  It does feal
like an extra horse or two jumped in there!
But....  the covers leak.  The former owner has used the cork gaskets which
always leaked a little.  When I took them off they fell apart.  What I got
at CheckerAuto (I know, here it comes...) were of the rubber sort and
thinner than the cork.  I didnt really want to glue them in there (per Muir)
since I wasn't sure how it might run so I used wheel bearing grease on both
sides of the gasket and slapped the covers on.
Now,  the cars running great and I don't have a problem with "glueing them
on" any longer.  But I wanted to ask what anyone their thoughts on the best
way to seal them on "OIL TIGHT".
Or, I might just run to the store and get some gasket cement.
Thanks again.

Norm Wilsman
68' Squareback
Golden Valley, MN