Re: [T3] Loud and Jerky

On 15 Jul 2001, at 23:30, Matt Small wrote:

> I drove my 73 Square (AT/FI) around all day today with no problems,
> but on my way home tonight I had some real wierd things happen.  As I
> was accelerating to merge onto the freeway, it felt as if someone were
> tapping on the break very quickly.  It started to jerk a little bit.
> Is that the engine not getting enough gas?  FI problems in general or
> more localized? Injectors maybe?  Anyway, that stopped after I kept on
> driving, but then about halfway through the 15 minute drive the car
> started to click VERY loudly.  It has always clicked a lot, but only
> the normal VW click, this was quite loud.  I was fairly close to home
> so I kept driving in hope that it would go away.  No dice.  There was
> no loss of power before it got loud or anything.  The two problems may
> be unrelated but I would like help on both if I could have it.

The "tapping on the brake very quickly" sounds like missing.
Missing means that the engine fails to fire on some compression
stroke. This is most commonly an ignition problem, but it could
also be FI. It is probably best to check the ignition system first and
make sure that the usual suspects appear to be properly adjusted.
Check the dwell (point gap) first, just to make sure that the points
have not worn down so they don't always open.

The "clicking" troubles me. I don't know of any clicking noise that I
would call normal, unless that's how you are describing an exhaust
noise. There is a click that you hear when you turn the key ON, but
that's the only time you hear it. If you hear a click while driving,
that's abnormal and is a good clue.

If you hear a click while driving, where is the sound coming from?
Does it sound like the same click that you hear when you turn the
key ON? There are actually 2 of these clicks, they happen at the
same time, one comes from under the dash and one from under
the back seat.

Another completely different kind of click is that heard from the
voltage regulator which is also under the back seat. If that is what
you hear, it means that the VR is dying and that you should
replace it. It is possible that this is also effecting your FI. This
clicking is generally louder than the click you hear when you turn
the key ON.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org