[T3] Exhaust gaskets

I've recieved my "Big" order of parts and started
throwing new parts on the car.  I started with the
exhaust and threw on the new headers with the supplied
gaskets....I shelved the metal ones....It's a bugpack
header and the gaskets are a kind of rubber cardboard
blend.....anywho once I cranked her up to hear what
she sounded like the gaskets started smoking...The
smell of burnt ruuber and smoke quickly filled the
garage....Once everything cooled I pulled the headers
and popped the metal gasket back on....What happened?
This just doesn't seem right...

Phil