[T3] Cheap Dynamat "Substitute" - Was: Dave needs to sound-proof next)

At 10:47 PM 7/12/2001 -0400, Anthony Hessler wrote:
>If you can find a place (i don't have a link off hand) that sells a product
>called "HI Temp Mastic", your in business with a cheap, sound deadening
>material.  Its Dynamatt before that brand name is placed on it.

Thanks for the info Anthony! I did a google search on Hi Temp Mastic and I
found this:

<paste from some BBS>

I ordered some dynamat substitue from mcmaster. A 12 sqft sheet sells for
$12.79! I also got the deadening spray from our sponser here. I'll let
everybody know how it works out when I get it all installed. I'm not a
fanatic doing my whole car, just the trunk.  Once in Mcmaster.com do a
search for 'acoustical sheets' and then scroll down to the bottom to
'Acoustical Damping Sheets'. Hi-temp mastic is the generic form of Dynamat
(in fact, I hear that the Dynamat factory is around an hour away from
McMaster's warehouse). I don't think they keep alot in stock because they
were out of it in Janurary and feburary and now my shipment is on back
order for a week. For the price I have to at least try it. They also have
viscoelastic which I have heard several people using on the floor. It's DLF
(Damping Loss Factor) is 50% higher but it is slightly thinner and weighs
nearly half that of hi-temp mastic.

<end paste.

I went to Mcmaster.com, did a search as described above, and see that they
do in fact have the product for $12.79 (32X54 in). Oh how I love
moneysaving tips like this!!!  :)

Cheers,

Dave Y.
68 Square