Re: [T3] Swing Axle Trans Oil Leak

Subject: [T3] Swing Axle Trans Oil Leak

> I recently thought about changing the rear wheel bearing in my 63 notch
but
> decided not to.  I did replace the oil seal in the rear wheel bearing
cover
> along with two rubber O rings, a little metal spacer, and 1 paper gasket
> between the brake backing plate and the bearing cover.  (There were two
> paper gasjkets in the kit, though...)  I took great care to clean
everything
> including the little drain hole in the bearing cover when I put everything
> together.  I consulted all my manuals and I am reasonably certain that I
put
> the assembly back together correctly.

Is the space installed with the chamfer towards the small oring and the
bearing. Small oring should be against the wheel bearing.  ! gasket between
the bearing retainer and the backing plate. The second gasket is for
reduction gear busses. Is the axle nut tight? If it is not, it will leak. Is
the washer between drum and the spacer.

Today I bought the big allen key and
> was about to set about topping up the transmission fluid when I noticed
> fluid leaking out of the drain hole in the back of the brake backing
plate.
> The car has sat immobile while all this has been going on and the bearing
> sounds dry when I spin the wheel.  I assumed that this was because the
trans
> fluid was low....
>
> Now, does the dry bearing thing sound right?  A fair amount of fluid
drained
> out when I removed the bearing cover assembly.  I figure that the axle
tube
> probably has no trans fluid in it.

You shouldnt be able to actually here a good bearing. If you hear any noise,
something may be out of place. Unless it is brake shoes dragging. You may be
hearing spider gears in the rear end.

> Then again, there's definitely enough fluid in the tube to leak out of
that
> little hole.  What's going on?????

When the swing axle car has been jacked up, until it is moved, the wheel
will remain cambered under. Any oil that is still in the axle tube will
drain down to the bearing area.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/