[T3] Valve adjustment

I have noticed that my wife's T3 has sprung a minor leak on the driver side
valve cover.
I understand that the valve cover gaskets should be replaced often. I also
understand that the valves should be adjusted often.
I will pick up new gaskets tomorrow and proceed to make this adjustment on
Saturday. I have never done this to a VW before. I need all the guiding I
could get.

I assume the oil should first be drained and the spark plugs be removed to
facilitate turning the engine.
Which is the easiest way to turn the engine accurately to find TDC of each
cylinder?
 I also would like to replace plugs at this time. I have no tune up
equipment so I will have the timing and dwell checked at a local vw mechanic
later.
I would like to know what is the easiest method to find top dead center of
each cylinder and any other info I should know about the valve adjustment.
I have the idiot book and a Haynes manual but no Bentley yet. I will read
them too.
Also since I am changing plugs is the much advantage to using the newer
platinum type? Or any other suggestion I was going to buy Bosch plugs from
Cram here in Omaha.

And as far as the oil the previous owner used 20w50 oil while he owned it. I
have had the oil changed by a mechanic and 10w 30 was used. The owners
manual suggest this type of oil as well. What is the best oil to use in this
engine? And how often should the screen be changed?
The engine runs fine now for the most part and I am merrily doing preventive
maintenance.

BTW this engine is a 1970 1600 FI # UO241473 the vehicle is a 1973 Type3
square automatic.

Sorry about the multiple of questions but I will be taking the square for a
1200 mile trip on the 28th and want it to be happy and trouble free.

Thanks

Peter Legault