RE: [T3] Steering gearbox luibrication

> Subject: RE: [T3] Steering gearbox luibrication
>

> On 10 Jul 2001, at 7:45, Russ Wolfe wrote:
>
> > > From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
>
> > > What is the proper stuff to stick in the steering gearbox as a
> > > lubricant. I get all kinds of recommendations from the
> manuals (gear
> > > oil, liquid grease???) but what I actually find in them just looks
> > > like a rather ordinary thick brown grease.
>
> > The proper grease for the steering gear box is the same as for a
> > manual tranmission. Checking the grease level even used to
> be part of
> > the normal preventive maintenance on the early ones. the menchanics
> > just kept a pump oil can with gear lub on their tool box.
>
> Just as I thought this was getting cleared up, you've gone and
> confused me again, Russ!  ;-)
>
> Didn't you post yesterday that early steering gearboxes used gear
> oil, but late ones switched to grease? And the MT never used
> grease, only gear oil. The only steering gearboxes that I've ever
> taken apart (late ones) were filled with a heavy brown grease.

I call it grease, you call it gear oil.
It wasn't me that made that post. I just got involved this morning. For some
reason, I didn't get anything from the list all last night.
One thing to keep in mind. The steering gear box is not a high speed
mechanism. Just about and lubricant will work. Also, The heavier the
lubricant, the hard it is to operate in cold weather.

Russ Wolfe
russ_wolfe@MAHLEParr.com

Mahle Parr Filter Systems
505 E. Madison