Re: [T3] Warped rotor?

On 9 Jul 2001, at 15:54, Jacob Schroeder wrote:

> Several months ago, before I went to school, the wheel bearing on the
> front drivers side of my '72 Square went bad, however, I noticed it as
> a dark smoke began streaming out of the front wheel.  When I pulled
> over to inspect the damage, I noticed that due to the heat, the wheel
> bearing grease was liquefied and everything was quite hot for a while.
>  Later that night I bought a replacement wheel bearing and went back
> to the park where I had left the Square to cool down.  I replaced the
> wheel bearing in the park, and drove 2 more miles to get home.

What you replaced was the OUTER wheel bearing; there's also an
inner one. Was the old one bad?

> It seems that my front drivers side brake rotor has been warped due to
> the heat because every time I press on the brake, I hear a loud
> thumping noise coming from the front drivers side wheel.  Does that
> mean that my brake rotor is indeed warped?  Second of all, I know if
> that's the case, then it'll need a new rotor installed and other stuff
> as well (new bearings, racers, so on).  I was wondering how difficult
> of a task that is to do.

Wheel bearing are certainly something you can do yourself, but
you have to remove the caliper so you can take the rotor all the
way off and service both bearings. Clean everything out and replace
whatever is bad.

There is some chance that the wheel bearing is NOT the problem.
It may be a stuck piston in your caliper that keeps the brake on.
This requires rebuilding or replacing the caliper. I prefer to rebuild.
You can also do this yourself, but it is harder and you should get a
good manual and study it first. Replacing is easier but more
expensive and the new parts you can buy are not as good as the
originals.

OTOH, you can keep the old caliper and rebuild it (or I can rebuild
it) and save it for later. On your 72, the left calipers can be rebuilt
as rights and vice versa. So you could rebuild both eventually,
which is probably a good idea.