Re: [T3] Dasher as a replacement for the Type 3 VW....?????

Jim,

There have been a number of VW brand cars produced by Volkswagen with a
longitudinal inline four cylinder engine.  Here is a list of them.  Two
have been sold in USA: VW Dasher and VW Fox.

1970-1975    VW K70
1974-1981    VW Passat I (Dasher in USA)
1981-1989    VW Passat II and Sanatana (Quantum in USA, Cosar in Mexico)
(Still made in China & Brazil as Santana)
1978-1982    VW Iltis
1980-1994    VW 1500 (made in Argentina)
1984-present    VW Gol (made in Brazil)
1984-present    VW Parati (made in Brazil, also sold in USA as VW Fox
and in Mexico as VW Pointer)
1990-1994    VW Apollo (made in Brazil)
1994-1997    VW Logus (made in Brazil)

All of them (except the Argentinian 1500) are front wheel drive with
longitudinal engines (i.e. north-south) as opposed to transverse engines
(i.e. east-west) like in the Golf, Scirocco, Corrado, Polo, Derby, later
Passats, etc.  This list does not include non-car commercial vehicles
like the Saveiro, the Type 2, the Taro, the LT and the larger VW trucks
which have been or still are available with longitudinal inline
four-cylinder engines.

The VW  K70 was VWs first water-cooled car but it was not a VW design
nor an Audi design at all.  VW bought the ailing NSU company in
March1969 and put the almost ready for production NSU K70 into
production in 1970 but rebadged as Volkswagen.  Volkswagen bought Audi
from Daimler-Benz in January 1965.  The K70 was a totally NSU design and
not connected with Audi designs in anyway.

Regrads,

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia