Re: [T3] Aux. air regulator trouble, conclusion

On 9 Jul 2001, at 13:14, HBakr@aol.com wrote:

> To those who corresponded with me on this nagging problem, I found the
> problem after greg and jim recommended retuning the engine. It turns
> out that the point gap has shrunk down to 0.00, obviously as a result
> of my hammering the dist. back in place with a new O ring installed. I
> reset the points and she runs normal again :-)

I wouldn't expect any reasonable amount of hammering to cause
this to happen. There are 2 things you should check. Make sure
that the little protrusion on the underside of the points is correctly
socketed in the hole in the breaker plate, and make sure that the
points rubbing block is not running dry against the dist cam. There
is special grease made for this cam, but any lube is better than
running it dry.

You should also make sure that the cam is clean before you lube
it. Dirt there will act as an abrasive and eat away at the rubbing
block (and the cam itself) and cause the gap to disappear.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054