Re: [T3] Stainless steel window wipers

Russ Wolfe wrote:

> Subject: Re: [T3] Stainless steel window wipers
>

> > Thinking of mirrors; I need a R/H side mirror for my LHD notch for the MOT
> > (annual safety check), and the door doesn't have the drilling to fit one.
> > Does anyone know if the captive nut is likely to be already fitted in the
> > door, or am I better off going for a clamp-on type mirror? I really don't
> > fancy the idea of drilling big holes in my door skin.......
> >

> Sorry, but I don't think you will find the nut inside the door. I have never
> seen one when the door didn't have a factory mirror. I would think that the
> clamp-on mirror would be better to get you through the inspection, while you
> find all the pieces to do it permently.

My brother Hans had a 1971 1302L Beetle (well they use virtually the same
mirrors. Not exactly but same mount in door). This beetle was imported from
Germany to Norway in 1974, so it needed a RH mirror fitted to pass Norwegian
inpections. I dont know who did the job back then, but they drilled a hole and
put a nut up on the inside while they tightened it from the outside. Needless to
say, as this nut was not welded on to the door, this was not a successful job.

My brother later got the 73 Variant plus 4000 crownes in exchange for the 1302L.
Both parties were very happy with that deal, but I wonder who fooled who.

PerL
73 Variant L