Re: RE:[T3] Voltage Regulator

On 7 Jul 2001, at 0:18, Dave Hall wrote:

> >  If it is allowed to stay in longer it will
> > eventually weld tightly enough that it won't release, and then you
> > get the ultimate stage in "The Death of a Regulator," which is when
> > the generator light goes ON when you turn the key OFF.
>
> ... and then the copper cased diode fails (in my case anyway).
> I think there was a bit of debris (aluminised plastic sweet wrapper or
> something) that did in the resistor.

I have a box of about 20 bad regulators in my basement, hoping to
one day rebuild with a solid state version. Of all those, the resistor
is bad in EVERY one. I don't think the candy wrapper would do in
the resistor; they're only 4 Ohms and quite high power.

I don't know what's with the diodes. Every one that I've ever seen
has its core coming out of it, although they test good. I should take
one and put it on a curve tracer someday just to see what they are
for sure. Externally they are certainly very strange.